Dienstag, 10. Juli 2012

Virtual coffee -the memory edition



Tuesday, time for virtual coffee with Amy and the girls.
Oatmeal, banana, pistacchios and dark chocolate chips with cranberries

Sit back, eat some breakfast with me and sip on your coffee, it's time for a little weekend recap:
I had all Saturday to myself. Yes, you hear this correct.ALONE!!!! Sweet Granny had Lu and Stella for a sleepover with the cousins and Ricky had stuff to do around the house! What to do with an unexpected day off from motherhood? A long overdue shopping trip was quickly in action. Scored some good stuff and could actually take my time to stroll through the isles without being rushed. I am in general not the type of shopping gal but this trip was totally necessary.
Score!!!!

Sunday, was a special day. Not only that we had a baby born in the family, it also marked the day my grandpaw Opa Hans would have celebrated his 100th Birthday if he would be still alive.
Even though he died 25 years ago , which seems like crazy forever long ago, I do have very fond memories of him. I remember the day he passed away, being pulled out of school, seeing him laying so peaceful in his bed, I remember my Aunt Nana taking us kids to a pizzeria to cheer us up and to give my parents time to make arrangements. I remember his funeral on a very , nasty and rainy May 21st. I remember writing him a letter on my most special paper with a sparkly "diamond" on the top middle and placing it in his casket. I don't remember what I wrote but I know it was full of love for him.
I remember him sitting in HIS chair with a bib around his neck waiting for lunch or dinner to be 
ready. The bib was held by a little chain with two tiny clothespins( funny what random things you remember form your childhood) cause he was very concerned about his clothes. He would always drink a bottle of Henninger Bier with his dinner and I remember starring at his black fingernails, frostbitten from the time he was a POW in Russia. I remember his walking stick and his passion for walking and hiking. Sadly I don't remember his voice anymore. He died when I was too little and when my grandmaw passed, I was a preoccupied teenager, busy to discover the world, not realizing how fun it would have been to begin with the past. Today, I would wish I could learn about what was going on in their lives when they were young.They were kind of "old" parents for point in time with 37 and 38.( I don't know what I would have done without my two monsters the last 6 years and I still got a couple years til 38)
My dad as a baby with his pretty mama, sadly I don't have a pic of my opa, they are all in Germany
I wonder why?The war?I would love to know how they met, what their love story was.How their parents were and life in general back then.
My grand maw burnt all their diaries and love letters after she read them one last time. Maybe I will do the same one day, but for now I am determined to let my kids, grand kids and whoever is interested to know who I am, was and will be.
Once we go back home to Germany I need to interview my parents and go down memory lane with them . 
Speaking of going home. Well, it won't happen this summer, which makes me very sad and my heart ache. But there is no way we will fork out 7 to 8000 $ just for the air fair. To ease the pain, we opted on going on a little road trip. Little is quite an understatement as we are planning to conquer almost 10 states.
Yes, we are crazy!!!

 Everything is still in the midst of planning and the preparations will keep me busy all week long. I am ready to make some awesome memories .

Today, I am thankful for 
  • good memories
  • my family and friends near and far
  • the internet, that helps us stay connected
  • a plan B
  • the $ store for cheap road trip entertainment
One last sip of coffee and off I am to pick up Stella from Vacation Bible School, which started yesterday. She is loving it!
What are you planning to do with the rest of your summer????

2 Kommentare:

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 hat gesagt…

oh, a 10-day road trip sounds like so much fun! crazy, stressful, fun but fun anyway!! i so wish i could go back in time and see my grandma & grandpa when they were younger with a house full of children, to see what it was really like. and like you, although i spent a lot fo time with my grandparents there are so many things i wish i would have asked.
thanks for sharing coffee with us this morning!

Katja hat gesagt…

Love this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...