As I mentioned before, healthy food is something very important to me. I try and make sure to feed them kiddos the best I can and try to expose them to a lot of different foods, hoping to stimulate all their little tastebuds.
After we had moved to the States I was quite on a search for good quality foods which led me in the end to buy my meats at Leblancs, my dry products still at Walmart and fruits and veggies at Whole foods. ( talking about spending a fortune for foods) But its worth it !
As I just mentioned in my last post, we are planting a veggie garden this year, planted two pear trees, two blueberry, two raspberry and two blackberry bushes so far. Let´s see if we can lower our costs and get some yummy treats. Til then, me and a friend of mine, Cathy, discovered another way to provide for the family. We found Oakland Organics. An organic farm, located in Gurley, Louisiana.You can go join them to work on the farm but you can also buy your share of the farm and they bring whatever they harvest that week to the market in Baton Rouge and you will recieve a bag of produce enough to feed 4 adults. We thought we would give it a try It costs 200$ for 10 weeks and since Cathy and I decided to share the portion it breaks down to 10 $ a week, which is not bad at all.
Last Thursday was our first pick up. So we called it a little event, brought the older ones to school and set off to the market with our sweet Cate and Lucien. It was a gorgeous day so we decided after our stopover at the market to grab a coffee and let them play for a while at the playground.
My wonderful crew for the day

Lucien was exhausted and Cate a lil champ
We all had such a good time.
But we were eager to see what was waiting for us in our bag.
This is what we found:
In words
In produce
I have to admit I really had to do some homework and find recipes for those interesting ´things´ ;)
I also bought those colorful, delicious, yummy, not long lasting goodies( they were eaten that night )
Salad, not a problem what to do with, the turnips ended up roasted in the oven with potatoes( the kiddos could not tell the difference by their appearance just by their taste), the kale ended up being tasteful chips similar to potatoe chips, the cabbage is still in the fridge and might turn into some asain wok dish tomorrow and the carrots, well, they were the big hit.
Love those little hands proudly holding their carrots
At first he was not a 100% sure why Mama would give him something with the green stuff on, doesn ´t she usually cut that stuff off when I eat my strawberries???????? Hmmmmm I guess it´s worth a try. And then I could hardly stop him from eating them all the way down to the greens
Yum.
All together this experience was a huge success with my crew and I am eager to see what next weeks share holds for us.
If you are interested go to
oaklandorganic.wordpress.com
1 Kommentar:
Sieht seeehr gesund aus. Die lila-weißen Rüben hab ich aber auch schon mal hier gesehen und der "Mechtersheimer Hofladen" bringt auch alles nach Hause - ohne Gebühr! Dicker Kuss! SUM
Kommentar veröffentlichen